you're reading...
Words: trivia

mortar and pestle



This club-shaped implement to pound or grind substances in a mortar is called a pestle. The vessel that you see here, in which things to be pounded are put, is called a mortar.

For Indian/South Asian readers of this post, you may be familiar with stone pestle and mortar (as in the image below) traditionally used for grinding spices.




No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 28 other subscribers
%d bloggers like this: